Sunday, January 8, 2012

With initiative, love, passion and conviction of purpose

Initiative means the doing of things without being told to do them.
Napoleon Hill

Why are we so full of restraint? Why do we not give in all directions? Is it fear of losing ourselves? Until we do lose ourselves there is no hope of finding ourselves.
Henry Miller



Passion rebuilds the world for the youth. It makes all things alive and significant.
Ralph Waldo Emerson


Yesterday, Allen and I took the initiative to drive to a nearby town in our county on the search for more teddy bears.  We weren't disappointed.  I've heard that whatever it is that one looks for one finds.  We surely did find teddy bears and lots of them.  As I put bear after bear in the cart I noticed the prices were less in all of the other stores I had previously purchased bears.  My objective is to buy as many bears for as reasonable a price as possible so as to help bring comfort to as many children as possible.
There were more bears on the shelves than I have ever seen in any store so far.  My little shopping cart was soon to the point of holding a mound of teddy bears.  Allen and I both had the same thought.  We could make the most use of the money we had by putting the bears back on the shelves and going on about our business.
A very friendly and helpful employee named Brandi was kind and interested as I told her why my cart was filled with teddy bears.  I explained the ministry to her and as we talked, I sensed God nudging me to ask for the manager.  Brandi was happy to find the store manager for me.  As I explained to Dana about the Nan's good will bear ministry and why I wanted all of the bears, and past history of prices, she listened thoughtfully.  Rather than tell me the price was not negotiable, she offered to sell the bears to me for half price.  Oh, my goodness! I was thrilled!  There were still a lot of bears on the shelves, but I was happy to have the 29 teddy bears in my cart!!
Dana told me that she would inform the cashier of the arrangement when I was ready to check out.  I rolled the light, but piled high cart to Miranda's register.  She looked in amazement at the teddy bears and then she looked at me.  As she rang up the bears and bagged them, I told her the story.  She was delighted when I had her write her name on the receipt because I wanted to include her, Dana, and Brandi in my next blog message.  She said "I feel so special" and smiled as she wrote her name on the receipt.
I asked Dana if the generous offer of fifty percent off would be possible upon my next visit to the store.  She assured me that should she not be there that day two other gentlemen managers would be there.  I felt so glad I wasn't afraid to ask to speak to the manager.  There was a time in my life I was terribly introverted and unsure of myself.  I think because of the passion in my voice as we talked, there was no doubt in their minds of my honesty, integrity and conviction of purpose.
I'm convinced that those three ladies felt good about what they had done.  Dana took the initiative to offer the much appreciated discount.  She is a fine example of generosity in action.  She did more than think about helping, she turned her thought into a gesture of good will.  Because of her act of kindness and generosity I was able to stretch the dollars entrusted to me by those of the hospital emergency department who purchased four large teddy bears at their Christmas party.  It was with their funds I purchased the 29 teddy bears yesterday.
I've heard it said that it takes a village to raise a child.  Value Village did their part yesterday in the comfort department.  Dana's willingness to help will long be remembered.
Allen and I continued on our way with the trunk of our car stuffed with two very large bags of teddy bears.  Our next stop was a Good Will store on the way home where we purchased another 13 bears.
As Allen and I came to our pew in church this morning his dad motioned with his hand to a bag of bears on the floor at his feet.  He told me who brought them and I immediately went to the couple and thanked them.  As Allen's mom came through the door and took her place in the choir loft, she motioned for me to come to her.  She handed me two more teddy bears!
Friends, this brings our overall total to 634 teddy bears!! It all began with the purchase of one teddy bear three years ago.  God intends that this ministry of providing comfort to those who can't help themselves will thrive and continue!  Remember, every gesture of good will begins with a thought.  Take the initiative to turn that thought into a physical manifestation of God's love in whatever way He sees fit.
Yes, even a stuffed bear can multiply more than six hundred times over!  With God nothing is impossible!
Take care and stay tuned for a message about the hospital newsletter in which an article is printed about the teddy bears and the love of God.  Love, Nan

No comments:

Post a Comment