Friday, January 20, 2012

Mental Chemistry

Through some strange and powerful principle of "mental chemistry" which she has never divulged, Nature wraps up in the impulse of strong desire "that something" which recognizes no such word as impossible, and accepts no such reality as failure.
Napoleon Hill

"That something" presented itself this morning.  I had some business to take care out of town today, and by "out of town" I mean outside my comfort zone of travel.  For many years, I have had a fear of driving to a destination I have never been to before and getting lost before I could get there or lost before I could get back home.  The fear isn't as intense as it used to be, thank goodness, but it hasn't left me completely.  Today, I had an opportunity to face that fear head on and overcome it.
Equipped with my GPS, and thanks to my computer giving me a beautiful view of the roads between here and there, I set out for my destination.  It was an hour long trip.  Allen and my friend gave me verbal directions, also.  I prepared myself mentally by creating a picture in my mind of having arrived at my destination.  I knew what the building looked like and I imagined walking into it and speaking to the person at the desk.  I further prepared for the trip by leaving home earlier than was necessary for prompt arrival.  I wanted to take my time and not feel rushed.
You may wonder what this story has to do with teddy bears, right.  Well, before I left home, I looked on the computer to find out if there was a Good will store in the vicinity.  You guessed it!  Not only did I reach my destination without any problems, I went even further to abolish my fear.  Not only was I driving in unfamiliar territory to get to my appointment, I found the Good will store and purchased 16 teddy bears!
By facing my fear head on, I accomplished a great deal.  I feel a sense of a thankfulness and joy.  Our reality is never as bad as our imagination can make it out to be.  You see, my fear wasn't real.  It was imagined.  I am so excited that I didn't give in to fear and let it control me.  I trusted in God, in the accurateness of my GPS and I trusted myself.  Because of all this combined, I know that in time, 16 people will be comforted with a teddy bear I purchased this day.  They will never know "the rest of the story" as you know now.  They will only know the joy they will feel when they are in the ER and are presented with a beautiful, cuddly teddy bear that is theirs to take home.
Because I was more in tune with the presence of God rather than the presence of fear my day was absolutely successful.  I pray for success and joy in your life.
Take care and know you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Love, Nan

No comments:

Post a Comment