Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Christian and the Bear

The realities of faith, hope and love can make every day an exciting adventure.
Dr. Norman Vincent Peale

I absolutely love life and I am excited to put my feet on the floor every day, even if I start the day "in a fog" and stagger to the bathroom after a night of staying up late creating something beautiful, such as a new poem or a story that must be written before going to sleep for the night.  I sometimes tell people that from the time we put our feet on the floor each morning until the head rests upon the pillow at night, we can't imagine what we will do and who we will meet.  Nor can we conceive of the blessings God will bestow upon us as the mysteries of the day unfold.
A  conversation about the teddy bear ministry began in the post office as simply as making a purchase of stamps.  I asked Jessica, as she selected my stamps, "has there ever been a stamp printed with the image of a teddy bear on it?"  She replied that she didn't know of one with a teddy bear on it.  I told her I was just curious because I am fond of teddy bears.  I shared with her, since there wasn't a line of people waiting for assistance behind me, the story of Nan's Goodwill Bears.  Jessica was impressed and told me she thought that it's a really good thing I'm doing.  I thanked her, made my purchase and that was the last time I saw her until a couple of weeks later.
As I came into the post office, Jessica looked pleased to see me and said she had been waiting for me to come into the post office.  She took out her cell phone and began to search for something on the phone.  When she turned the phone around for me, I was so touched by the photo she pulled up.  It was her little son, sitting on a hospital bed, holding a teddy bear and wearing six shiny staples on his knee.  Jessica told me he stroked the teddy to his cheek as the hospital staff placed the staples on his knee.  I asked her if she would email me the photo and she was glad to accommodate my request.
This past Friday when I came into the post office, Jessica greeted me with her usual pretty smile.  I asked her how was Christian doing since his accident.  She said he was doing well until they took him back to the ER to have the staples removed.  He remembered the experience of getting the staples set and the comfort his teddy bear brought him.  He cried out "I need a teddy bear!"  He wasn't thrilled about the idea of being "messed with" and he knew he would need the comfort of a teddy to make him feel better.
Jessica had never heard of Nan's Goodwill Bears until that day I asked about teddy bear postage stamps and not two weeks later, she was in the ER with Christian and much to her surprise, when she saw the teddy being given to Christian, she knew we had met in the Post Office a few days earlier.  Isn't God's timing perfect every time!!
Now, Christian has two special teddies to comfort him when necessary.  As you scroll down this page, you will find the photo of Christian and the bear.   Have a great day and make sure it becomes an exciting adventure.  Who has time for a mediocre day?!! Love ya! Nan

No comments:

Post a Comment